The half moon pose. A definite favorite of mine used to tone the legs and open the chest. I also find it calming because it takes focus and practice to continuously hold this pose.
1. Stand in tadasana and move into trikonasana or triangle.
2. Bend the front knee while coming onto the toes of the back leg.
3. Walk the toes closer to the front leg while you reach your leading arm down to the ground (or block) bringing your torso parallel to the ground.
4. Straighten the front leg and lift the back leg up parallel to the ground.
5. Raise your top arm, palm facing out, creating a line from your bottom hand to your top hand.
6. To come out, gently bend the front knee and slowly lower the top leg to the ground. Return to trikonasana and finally to tadasana. Repeat on the opposite side.
Having trouble balancing? No problem! We can all use a little help from our friends! In the photo, I have my foot balanced on the rock arch. You can also be completely flush with a wall. Practicing this pose with the entire body against a wall allows one to roll the top hip back, encouraging proper alignment. If you are not comfortable with your front arm extending all the way to the ground, place a block underneath.
Hope you enjoy this pose as much as I do!
Upcoming Classes & Events
Mondays 6-7 a.m. — Morning Stretch Yoga. About Face Fit, 12306 SR 13, Milan, Ohio 44846. Bring your own mat or blanket. All levels welcome. Start the week off right with this early morning yoga class! Fast-paced flows to get the energy going. $8/class
Tuesdays 7-8:15pm — Meditation- Converging Paths Meditation Center, 7-8:15pm
Wednesdays 7-8 p.m. — Yoga- About Face Fit, 12306 SR 13, Milan, Ohio 44846. Bring your own mat or blanket. Come join me for a gentle yoga class to refresh and restore your body and mind mid-week. $8/class
Saturday, September 28, 10 a.m. and Monday, September 30, 2 p.m. — Park PALS- Looking at Leaves- The Enchanted Cottage, East Sandusky Bay MetroPark. There are almost 1000 species of trees in North America! We will compare leaves from various trees at Stockdale Arboretum to see if we can identify them! Registration Required.
Saturday, October 5 and Sunday, October 6, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. — Harvest Happenings, Osborn MetroPark. Don’t miss the best family festival in Erie County!! Two days of fun-packed activities for everyone—Firelands Pioneer Power Association. Tractor & Engine Display, children's pedal-pull, Back to the Wild display, Petting Zoo with the Ohio Horseman’s Council of Erie County, food and craft vendors, Sandusky Children’s Museum activities, MetroParks Nature tent, hay rides, and much, much more!!
Sunday, October 6 — 5th Annual Erie MetroParks Run Like An Animal 5k Trail Run/Walk– Sun, Oct 6, 8 am registration, 9 am race. Osborn MetroPark. Pre-registration is $15 before Sep 20, then $20 race day registration. Download a registration form . Sponsored by Erie MetroParks and Firelands Area Runners Club.